Sacrament of BAPTISM: Baptism is the sacramental “doorway” through which people enter into the divine life of God, the Body of Christ which is the Church, and the life-long school of discipleship in Jesus. Baptism removes original sin and strengthens our broken humanity.
- Infant Baptisms are celebrated on the first Sunday of each month after the 10:30 a.m. Mass.
- Parents who have not previously received pre-baptismal instruction are required to attend a Baptismal Preparation Class held in the Parish Office in the months of January, March, May, July, September and November. These classes generally fall on the 2nd Sunday of the month with a couple of exceptions.
- Parents who are not registered members of Holy Family will be asked to present a letter from the parish they are attending giving permission for the baptism to be celebrated here.
- Parents who are not registered members of any parish will meet with the pastor before attending baptismal preparation.
- Please call Theresa Shaw at (812) 944-8283 x2 to register for the Baptismal Preparation Class. Call (812) 944-8283 x0 to schedule infant baptisms.
Sacrament of CONFIRMATION: Confirmation is the sealing of Christian Initiation with the gift of the Holy Spirit who strengthens us to live as Christ calls us to live.
- “Confirmation is required for being a godparent or a sponsor. It is strongly encouraged before entering Matrimony.”
- For Confirmation of Adults preparation, please contact the Aquinas Center (812) 945-0354.
- For Confirmation of Youth preparation, contact Sara Raelson (812) 944-8283 x227. Confirmation is required for being a godparent or a sponsor. It is strongly encouraged before entering Matrimony.
Sacrament of HOLY EUCHARIST: Holy Eucharist is the gift of the Lord’s true Body and Blood. In the Mass the sacrifice of Calvary is remembered and made present by the Holy Spirit. Through the Eucharist, followers of Jesus are strengthened in bonds of charity and faith with all those who hold and profess the Catholic Faith.
- Preparation for Holy Eucharist for Adults in done through the RCIA (Right of Christian Initiation of Adults- The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is the process through which interested adults and older children are gradually introduced to the Roman Catholic faith and way of life.) Contact Kathy Wilt at (812) 944-8283 x223.
- Children are prepared for First Eucharist in the 2nd grade at Holy Family School or the 3rd grade in Catholic Faith Formation classes. Children must have had at least one full year of catechesis prior to the year in which they will make the sacrament. If your child is past this age for making First Eucharist, the child will be asked to participate in the RCIA process adapted for children. Please contact Theresa Shaw at (812) 944-8283 x2.
Sacrament of RECONCILIATION: The sacramental confession of sins is the ordinary way in which Catholics find forgiveness for sins committed after Baptism.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) is celebrated Saturdays 4:15 to 4:45 p.m. or by request and appointment.
- Preparation for this sacrament for adults is included in the RCIA (Right of Christian Initiation of Adults) Contact Kathy Wilt at (812) 944-8283 x223.
- Children’s preparation for Reconciliation is held during the 2nd grade year for both Holy Family School and the Catholic Faith Formation classes. Contact Theresa Shaw at 944-8283 x2.
Sacrament of MATRIMONY: In Holy Matrimony the life-long love of husband and wife become a sign of Christ’s love and faithfulness to his spouse, the Church.
- All Catholics are required to have their marriage witnessed by a priest or deacon unless dispensed.
- The Archdiocese of Indianapolis requires a six month window for marriage preparation.
- Couples should first contact the pastor prior to these six months. Fr. Dan Atkins, 812-944-8283 ext. 1
- Once you have contacted the pastor of Holy Family, you are required to attend a marriage preparation program that is offered quarterly. The 2013 sessions are: Jan. 18, April 19, July 19, and Oct. 18. These informational sessions will begin to answer questions regarding the wedding and liturgy and what you need to prepare for this blessed event. Call Fr. Dan Atkins )812) 944-8283 ext. 1 or Kathy Wilt (812) 944-8283 x223 to register for these sessions as soon as you have set the date with the pastor.
- RESOURCE: On Feb. 12, in his Homily, Father Dan spoke about receiving the sacrament of Marriage at Holy Family. Here is the link to that Homily.
Sacrament of HOLY ORDERS: Through the Sacrament of Orders the Lord Jesus renews his gift of leadership in the Church; first through his bishops, the successors of the apostles, and then through their delegated priesst and deacons.
- Men who are interested in becoming priests or permanent deacons may contact our pastor (812) 267-8147 or Father Eric Johnson, Vocation Director (800-382-9836).
Sacrament of the ANOINTING OF THE SICK: Through laying on of hands and anointing with blessed oil the priest brings Christ’s healing love to those who are in danger of death or seriously burdened with infirmities.
- This sacrament is offered on the last Wednesday of the month during the 8:00 a.m. Mass and is also celebrated upon request at home or in the hospital. In case of an emergency call Father Dan at (812) 267-8147.